August 17, 2009

Making Brayden's Birthday Cake!

Brayden loves swimming, water, and fish so we decided to have a pool party with a fish theme for his 1st birthday! I found a great fish pan to make him a cake. Luckily it also included decorating directions. I thought it was going to be really hard and was scared to start because I thought I would mess it up! The first obstacle to get over was actually baking the cake without it sinking (in the high altitude of Colorado) and getting it out of the pan in one piece! It worked! Then I had to tackle the decorating. I learned that when you use the Wilton colors, that they darken as they sit. So, when trying to make black icing, don't use the entire bottle trying to get it to be really black...it tastes gross and then you have to start over and try again! So, with Brian's help, the cake was completed at 11pm the night before the party!



No comments:

Post a Comment